Thursday, August 25, 2016

My Name is Suzanne -- late 2008

Not technically from the Illinois archives but from late 2008




My name is Suzanne.

Not Sue.
Not Suzie.
Not Susan.

SUZANNE.

I like my name. I adore my name. I thank my parents for not naming me a common name. My sister has a nice name too. Lara.

Lara, as in LAH-RAH.

Not Lori.
Not Laura.

LARA.

My parents say we weren't named after anyone but they did have two cats before they had two daughters. The cats were named Sua and Dara. Daughters are Suzanne and Lara. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Anyway, it annoys me when someone takes it on themselves to shorten/change my name. I've threatened to hit people. Haven't ever done it though, but there's always a first time.


    




What? Like you don't have things that bother you? 


So the phone rings at the church today.

"Good afternoon (insert church name here), this is Suzanne."

"Hi Sue--"

Okay. He's already lost me.

He's mumbling incoherently about something and I'm thinking, "It's SUZANNE."

"I used to come to your church a long time ago, do you remember me?"

"Um, no, I've only been here a few months."

I can't believe he called me Sue.

"Okay, I want to give my address to some people so I'll call back tomorrow. You just keep praying for me."

I said SUZANNE when I answered the phone and HE CALLED ME SUE.

"Okay, goodbye."

...um, what was it that he wanted?

2 comments:

  1. One of my biggest pet peeves is being called Rosemary. I know it's close. But it's not my name. I always feel like if you call me Rosemary, you don't care enough to realize my name is Rosemarie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why people think it's okay to shorten or change our names.

    ReplyDelete